Monday, July 19, 2004

Greasing It Up

Taking the full online meta-blogger cock up my cyber-ass. Or ramming my cyber-cock up to the hilt into the online meta-blogger snatch. Unfortunately the first metaphor is probably more accurate.

I enjoy writing. Taking an idea and hopefully turning it into something unique and entertaining devoid of as many cliches as possible. When I finish a piece I move on. Any feedback is a bonus. Like a boxer who stands back to admire his handiwork, spending any time waiting for responses or congratulating yourself on what you have written is counter-productive.

However, I do have to admit that when I started writing this blog almost a year ago I was under some vague impression that if I posted interesting comments, people would magically find the site and keep returning for more. It doesn't work that way. If you don’t make a modicum of effort to publicize your blog, very few will arrive otherwise.

So for the last few weeks in addition to posting here I have been adding my blog to various directories and posting links in other venues. During that time I’ve come to realize the vast number of other fools out there who are also trying to get noticed. The ease of setting up a blog and starting to post, seeing your words fly up on the screen in perfect script and then with the push of a button publishing it and making it potentially available for the whole world to read has motivated wide swaths of semi-literate morons to produce vast quantities of complete and utter self-serving horseshit.

There are also the occasional well-written, frequently updated blogs that make wading through the other garbage somewhat more tolerable. In the next few weeks I will be posting links to some of the more enjoyable blogs I have found and in some cases writing short reviews. Also, please feel free to add a link for my blog to your site and also add your own link to the new feature added on the sidebar.